- This event has passed.
North Bay World of Ideas: Us/Them in Relationships and Society
This event focuses on the “Us/Them” impulses and attitudes in us. Some of the questions we will explore are:
- Are Us/Them attitudes innate within us and even within other species?
- If so, what evolutionary advantages might they have provided?
- How do they relate to community and others group memberships and feelings of belonging?
- In what ways do Us/Them attitudes express themselves in our behavior?
- In what personal, family, community, social, and political contexts and modalities do they surface?
- Are members of the other gender “us” or “them”?
- To what extent should we accept, try to modify, and/or reject Us/Them attitudes?
- How might we do that?
The events are generally about half presentation, by the session host or a guest speaker, followed by discussion moderated by the host or presenter. Divergent ideas are welcome; however, the discussions are moderated to keep them civil and fully respectful, to attempt to give all participants a fair amount of time to speak, and to try to focus the conversation generally around the topic of the day. So we’re all invited to contribute, but you don’t have to be an expert to be welcome, participate, and enjoy the fellowship of thoughtful people who all agree to be open to divergent ideas and treat each other with respect.
The event is free; however, we ask that you please read the details at https://www.meetup.com/North-Bay-World-of-Ideas/events/257758094/
Advanced registration (RSVP) is required.